Friday, January 28, 2011

My Birthday and New Year's Eve

My birthday went something like this:

I woke up in the very early morning hours feeling sick. I stayed in bed for as long as I could and then called my doctor to make an appointment. I got ready and figured that I'd leave a little bit early to try and see if I could get in any earlier. It's a good thing that I planned to leave early; there was a huge snow storm the night before and it took me about 40 minutes to get the ice and snow off of my car. My trunk was frozen shut and the snow-brusher-offer-thingy happened to be in there. When I finally broke it free, the snow pile was way too thick too just use the brush so I used the snow shovel first to get the majority off of the car and then scraped the rest with the gentler tool. Then I got in my car and tried to back out of my driveway and was unsuccessful. I had to get back out of the car and shovel the snow in the driveway. Through the ordeal, I was kicking my car and yelling at the snow. I was just about in tears. The mailman came over after I was mostly finished and asked if I ever got my trunk to open. I said yes and he drove away. I must have looked like a mess.

They did the strep test on me and it was negative but I told her my symptoms and that I had been exposed over Christmas. She looked in my throat and they said it looked like strep and swabbed my throat again for another test. Fun.

I stopped by Zupas on the way home for my birthday lunch and got some soup and creme brulee to go. Derek and I went home and had lunch and then we both went back to bed. I spent the rest of the day napping while Derek ran around and watched cartoons.

That was my birthday. It wasn't very fun but I had a lot of friends and family call or write me and wish me a happy birthday and that made it a lot brighter.

On New Year's Eve, Derek and Tyler brought me flowers in the morning for my birthday. We went over to Dan and Choka's with Cory and Katie to celebrate! Dan made me a birthday cake.

The kids watched a movie and the adults played Settlers of Catan. (Did I spell that right? I'm too lazy to look it up right now...) It worked, for the most part. We watched the ball drop and had sparkling cider. I was surprised that the kids made it to midnight, but they all did! It was a good night and I think we got the year off to a good start.


Since then, I've had another birthday cake, made by my mother-in-law and many offers for re-do birthday lunches. It's been nice to have that extension! Thank you to everyone for all the birthday love!

No comments: