Friday, May 8, 2009

D-Rock Rolls Over and Some Other Stuff

Well things are pretty good. Derek has been less stuffy since our poor kitty left. We miss her a lot but, what can you do? We're in the process of de-pet-dandering our house now. I guess we could call it spring cleaning. Fun, huh? I put Derek in the Moby Wrap (which I totally love - thank you Crystal and Annie for recommending it!) and vacuumed the whole house. Derek loved it. He slept really well.

Derek is sure fun to have around. We mostly just chill at the house all day.

Unfortunately, we have a bad case of thrush right now. I'm in a lot of pain (that's why I'm still up at 2 am) and Derek is not always happy during his meals. (WARNING: Anyone who doesn't want to read about breastfeeding should skip to the next paragraph now) I shouldn't have been so cocky with my knowledge of nursing. I took breastfeeding classes. Yes, I took more than one. I read articles on "BabyCenter" and in "Fit Pregnancy." I read about it in What To Expect When You're Expecting and even read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, the official book endorsed by La Leche League. I read about it Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven, a tongue in cheek guide to pregnancy and beyond. When the lactation consultant came in after I had my C-section I was like, "oh yeah, I totally know what I'm doing," but I didn't know how wrong I was in my skill because I was on the happy planet of Percocet. I knew the THEORY of breastfeeding so well that I was sure I'd be able to execute proper technique with minimal problems. I admit, I was wrong. Boy, let me tell you, I'm paying for my pride and cockiness now. Here's the lesson of the day: Let the experts teach you even if you're SURE you know how to do something. And also: BE HUMBLE. I've just had a really hard time. I've already had mastitis and now I've had thrush for WEEKS. This is all with the added pain of an improper latch for the first month. I finally went to the lactation clinic where I was able to learn proper latch on technique hands on but the damage had all ready been done.

Anyways, that's why Derek has purple lips in this next picture. He was treated for thrush with Gentian Violet. He had Halloween-like purple lips for a few days.



Here's Derek doing some Tummy Time.

He doesn't really like Tummy Time. He usually is only down there for a couple of minutes before protesting very loudly. Today, May 7th, I was down on the floor with him and he started fussing. I started to sit up to pick him up and he got kinda quiet. I looked over and he had rolled himself over onto his back! His first roll-over. I tried and tried to get him to do it again so I could get it on film, but the little doll screamed every time I put him back down there. So I just took a picture of him in the push up position.

And here he is loungin' in the tub.


And there's some good news for Tyler. He got somewhat of a promotion at work. He's such an awesome dad, too. He changes almost all of the diapers that he's around for. He gets up with Derek to rock him back to sleep at night. He takes Derek almost as soon as he gets home for some playtime and more rocking in the rocking chair. Our little boy loves to rock. He's a rockstar. D-Rock.

2 comments:

MeganandClaudy said...

I've heard that is sooo painful! I feel so bad for you and hope it goes away soon.
PS-I LOVE your nickname...D-rock for Derek...adorable :)

Becca said...

Derek is darling and can totally pull of the purple lip thing way better than I have ever seen a girl do it...

And this whole childbirth/mothering thing is natural...and yet so unnatural...haha. You will figure it out and go on to be the worlds best mother. Trust me. I know these things.