Friday, February 25, 2011

34 Weeks


I switched practices this week. It's a little late in my pregnancy, I know, but my last visit with my OB left me feeling unsupported and hopeless. I asked my HypnoBirthing instructor and my good, natural childbirth friend for a recommendation and both gave me the name of the same midwife practice. So, at the beginning of February, I called and made an appointment. They are pretty popular and pretty busy but I had my first appointment this week. I don't think I can properly convey the great difference in the way I felt during and after visits with my former care-provider and with the kind woman who listened to my concerns with patience and Derek's birth story with incredulity. I felt great relief as she told me the things that I felt I had to talk my doctor into previously are standard practice for the midwives! I still have to have an IV and continuous monitoring because I'm attempting a VBAC but I do not have to have the epidural catheter inserted "just in case." I just feel so much more confident, safe, and supported in the kind of birth that I would like to have.

So anyway, that's the big excitement for the week. I still feel great and I can't believe that I'm 34 weeks. It's getting harder to sleep because my options are severely limited and I wake up with numb limbs. My back has started to kill me, just starting today. Small prices to pay, really, and I think it's my fault. I need to work on my posture. I sit on the couch at a slant too. I need to be better. I've taken out the exercise ball; that will be my new chair. We're in the home stretch! I'm so excited! Little Scarlett will be here before we know it! I better pick a middle name... I've narrowed it down to 4 or 5. Maybe I'll just take those to the hospital with me and decide when I see her. Hopefully I won't be on Morphine like I was when I named Derek. Haha. Seriously.

2 comments:

Shanda said...

I'm sorry about your doctor. Was it the same one from when you had Derek? I thought you really liked her.

Tara said...

Yeah, same doctor. I still love her but she didn't want to let me do what I wanted to do.